Full form of MLA?
MLA Full Form: –Member of legislative assembly.
MP Full Form: –Member of Parliament.
So don’t be confused between these two terms as they have different meanings.
How are MLA elected?
MLA is a representative elected by the voters of a constituency to the legislature of the state government in India. The members of legislative assembly are elected by the people. India which is developing country, according to the political system here the political lead system has been divided into 3 parts to run the administration: –
- Parliament and central government at central level.
- State legislative assembly and state government.
- Municipality or municipal corporation at district or tehsil level.
Criteria & Eligibility to Become a MLA
Following are some basic criteria to become a member of legislative assembly : –
- To become a candidate for the post of MLA, he or she must have nationality of the country that is, you must be Indian citizen.
- He or she must have completed at least 25 years of age.
- He or she should be voter of any constituency.
- He or she should not be mad or bankrupt person mentally healthy.
Responsibility or obligations of a MLA
MLAs have different responsibilities according to their situations, some have more than one responsibility. For example, being an MLA he or she can be cabinet minister and also a chief minister.
Following are the basic responsibilities of MLA: –
- He represents the grievances and aspirants of the people and takes them to the state government.
- He or she must use several legislative means for the benefit of the members of his constituency.
- He should take up the local issues of his constituency with the state government.
- He should make optimum use of local area development (LAD) funds to develop his constituency.
- Elected the speaker and deputy speaker of the legislative assembly.
- Members of legislative assembly elected one-third of the members of the legislative council in states.
- MLA appoint the various committees to the house.
The Lok Sabha makes laws on matters those included in union list and concurrent list and it also introduce and enact money and non-money bills.
An MLA can exercise his legislative powers on the state list and as well as on concurrent list.
State list deals with the following matters: –
- Local government
- Public health
- Trade and commerce
- Livestock and animal husbandry
- State public services
Concurrent list deals with the following matters: –
- Transfer of the property other than agricultural land
- Trade unions
- Adoption and succession
In the above article we discussed about MLA Full form, Eligibility criteria ,Selection process, Responsibilities of MLA and about their legislative role. Hope this article will provide you knowledge about our working of legislative assembly.