How to prepare idli Sambar: Idli is popular south Indian cuisine which is loved and relished across the country . It is typical dish made from batter prepared from rice , urad dal , Bengal dal and a few other kinds of cereal as well. Now a days ,people prefer making idlis from semolina (suji or rava)as they taste unique and delicious. A common practice is to eat idlis with coconut chutney.
However having them with the traditional south Indian sambhar give a special experience to food lovers. Some people prefer having it with chutney and sambhar.
Idlis are light to digest and ideal breakfast snack as well. This dish has become so popular that even people living in northern ,eastern and western parts of India enjoy having it with their friends and family . The sambhar nourishes you with plenty of minerals and vitamins whereas the idli revitalizes you with carbohydrates and proteins . Also idlis are not as heavy as rice or roti which makes it an ideal food for those who are on diet.
Since the batter is fermented before using ,the nutrient get directly absorbed in the body. Also you hardly feel heavy or lazy after eating idli sambhar.
Idli sambhar is complete food in itself as it contains all essentials nutrients , minerals and vitamins that are essential for your overall health different vegetables like beans ,carrot ,drumstick, potato and gourd etc. present in sambhar provide enough fiber that aides your digestive health.
Moreover idlis are steamed and sambhar contains very little content of oil which makes it perfect for your cardiovascular health too.
Do not ferment the batter for too long time it might add a tangy taste to idlis . however , some people like to have tangy idlis as well . Idli sambhar can be carried in lunch boxes or can be packed for for trips and tours as its taste and freshness can be retrained for longtime.
Idli Sambhar Receipe :
Different vegetables like beans ,carrot ,drumstick present in the sambhar provide enough fibre that aides your digestive health.
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time :15 minutes
Course : side dish
Cuisine : south Indian
Key words : idli & sambhar
Ingredients for idli & sambhar :
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp sambhar powder
- 1 tsp toor dal
- 1 tsp masoor dal
- 1 drumstick cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 table spoon yellow pumpkin chopped
- 1 table spoon beans chopped
- 1 table spoon carrot chopped
- 2 tsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 cup tamarind extract
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp Bengal gram dal
- ½ tsp urad dal
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander leaves
- 2 tsp coconut grated
- 2 dry red chillies
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
Recipe in steps :
The steps How to prepare idli Sambar
- Heat little oil in a frying pan .
- Fry the dry ingredients to grind for 45 seconds.
- Grind to fine powder and keep it aside.
- Boil masoor dal and toor dal together.
- Transfer the tamarind extract to pan over medium flame.
- Add salt ,turmeric powder, sambhar powder and mix well.
- Heat little oil in a frying pan.
- Sauté the onions, tomatoes ,beans ,pumpkin and carrot for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add to the tamarind extract and bring to a boil.
- Add ground masala and cooked dals.
- Stir well and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Fry the tempering ingredientsin little oil and add to the sambhar.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Idlis are maken from curd and semolina with it the batter is form add some fruit salt or baking soda before making idlis.
- Boil the cooker or steamer filled with water at bottom pour the batter in the stand .
- Now boil the idlis for 10 minutes and after it is formed check with tooth pick it is clean than idlis are formed when it is sticky than give 4 to 5 minutes more to form idlis.
- Now idlis are formed served with hot sambhar or chutney which is optional.