WHAT IS SSC JE ?
It is known as STAFF SELECTION COMMISION (SSC) Which Organizes recruitment examination every year for the post of junior engineer (civil engineering, mechanical engineering ,electrical engineering and quantity surveying &contracts ), in the government of India some of these organizations and mentioned below :-
- Central water commission
- Central public works department (CPWD)
- Military engineer services (MES)
- Border road organization (BRO)
- Central water and power research station
- National technical research organization (NRTO)
- Farraka barrage project
SSC JE Educational qualification
Bachelor’s degree or diploma in civil engineering from a recognized university /institution.
SSC JE Scheme of examination
The examination consists of two papers. paper I is computer-based examination and paper II is descriptive type. Detail of these papers are mentioned below: –
|Paper’s /mode of examination||Subject||No. of questions/ maximum marks||Duration|
|Paper I (objective type) computer-based examination|
General engineering (civil & structural)
|Part II (descriptive) Written||Part -B General engineering (civil & structural)||300||2 hours|
Paper I consist of objective type and multiple-choice questions only, the questions paper will be set in both languages i.e. English & Hindi.
There is a negative marking in paper I which is of 0.25 marks i.e. of 0.25 marks will be deducted per each wrong answer.
Paper II must be written either in Hindi or English. Partly written in Hindi and remaining in English will be given zero marks.
SSC JE CIVIL SYALLBUS PAPER I
The level of the questions that will be asked in the examination will be having the difficulty level of diploma in engineering (civil engineering /electrical engineering / mechanical engineering) approximately. Questions are to be in S.I. units.
Paper I consist of following parts:
- General intelligence
- General awareness
- Part – A General engineering (civil & structural engineering)
General intelligence & reasoning
In this section questions will be of the following types:
- Verbal Reasoning
- Non verbal Reasoning
Questions will also be asked from the following topics:
- Arithmetical reasoning
- Relationship concepts
- Space visualizations
- Decision making
- Problem solving
- Visual memory
- Verbal and figure classification
- Arithmetical number series
In this section only consistent practice through mock test can increase the score in exam practice through mock test will improve the speed and eventually lead to a good attempt in this section.
Questions will be broadly asked from the following topics: –
- Current affairs relating to India and its neighbouring countries.
- History (ancient, medieval and modern history)
- Indian culture
- Indian constitutions
- Science and technology
- Awards /honours/ sports
The questions from the above topics will be fact based static general knowledge part (history, geography, economics, Indian constitution) is very vast in scope and all of it cannot covered in short span of time it would be more useful to just keep revising whatever the candidate had studied till now and practicing mock test regularly. but the current affair part can be scoring.
A good reading of events/facts /awards/honors in news for the past 6-8 months should be sufficient. Again, cover this section through practicing mock questions. concise affairs from a good source can prove beneficial for the preparation of this section.
- Part – A (CIVIL ENGINEERING)
To crack any examination the detailed analysis of the previous year question papers is very important.
It gives an understanding of what the exam demands and how deep we need to go into concepts while studying. Therefore, we provide here analysis of previous year exam and ssc je civil syallbus with questions: –
|Topics||No. of questions|
|Estimating costing and valuation||11-12|
|Theory of structure||6-8|
Memorize formulae, standard values and basics definitions. Practice formula based numerical questions. Prepare “fluid mechanics” section thoroughly and for numerical questions in particular. Memorize units of various parameters. Remember basic terminologies and definitions.
Building materials: –
This subject is mostly theoretical and a very few numerical questions are asked from this subject which are of moderate to tough difficulty level. Very minute factual details and name of IS codes should be memorized to score good marks in this subject.
Soil mechanics: –
Memorize formulae and basic definitions read various soil mechanics test in detail. Index properties and inter relationship of different parameters is very important section and few questions are asked every year from this section.
Irrigation engineering: –
Remember factual details overall a tough section due to volume of facts that need to be memorized and constantly practiced. Regular practice and repeated revision are the key to score good marks in this section.
Some formula based numerical questions are also asked so also practice numerical questions but need not to spend much time on it and prepare other sections which are scoring.
Estimating, costing and valuation: –
Remember definitions and facts practice numerical questions. practice estimation methods thoroughly.
Environmental engineering :-
Remember standard values of water quality parameters understand various treatments processes and design of sewers thoroughly in particular. At last remember standard definitions /factual details.
Theory of structures :-
Overall a very conceptual subject so remembering formulas can help to a certain extent but it is risky if one does not know the conceptual application. Therefore, understanding the concepts is the only option. Basic definitions should be memorized.
Mostly theoretical section needs to be covered memorize small factual details and formulae prepare various methods of surveying and various surveying instruments in particular.
Concrete technology: –
Concrete mix design and properties of concrete should be prepared thoroughly in particular apart from memorizing factual details of other theoretical sections practice numerical question on concrete mix design. This subject should be prepared after the preparation of most scoring subjects since number of questions asked from this section are few.
RCC design: –
Majority of questions are based on IS 456:2000. A very thorough reading of IS code should be done recommended design specifications from relevant sections in code should be memorized. overall a very conceptual subject and understanding of design concepts is must.
Steel design: –
Thorough reading of IS 800:2007 code must remember basic terminologies, facts and design concepts. This subject should be prepared after the preparation of most scoring subjects since number of questions asked from this section are few.
- The person should give at least 6-7 hours for preparation.
- The coaching is available for it in India. source of the coaching or institute are given below: –
- Made Easy
- IES Master
- Engineers academy
- Gate Academy etc.
- The coaching is available in online terms also the students who are far from coaching or doesn’t have enough time they can manage their time by online schedule.
- Preparing most scoring subjects which have more weightage in question paper need to be prepared first.
- If these subjects are prepared thoroughly candidate can score very good marks in paper I.
- Practice as many mock tests as possible.
- To know the status of preparation mock tests should be solved regularly.
- Candidate will make many mistakes and improve in the next test.
- In the process of solving mock tests regularly candidate will memorize all the formulae eventually.
- Improving test score candidate should try to improve his/her score constantly.
- Revision and analysis of mock test paper is crucial.
- Every mock test should be analysed after exam
- Paper II
- Paper II must be written either in Hindi or English. Partly written in Hindi and remaining in English will be given zero marks. This will be Subjective type.
- Since most subjects require memorizing of basic definition/terminologies /formulae/factual, details, constant revision should be done by candidate to remember these.
- There is little point in preparing if periodic revision is not done
- Many times a candidate is not able to solve question in spite of having good understanding of subject, due to lack of revision, so constant revision is must.
Manage time in exam
Mock test help in managing time smartly in actual exam. Every mock test should be taken seriously and attempted in exam like atmosphere.
If all the points mentioned above followed, candidate can score very good marks in paper I and increase his/her chances of selection significantly.